Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Recycled Christmas

I'm so happy I'm going away for Christmas this year and don't have to join the buying frenzy, which I have come to detest. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept, or brand, of Christmas. The food, the gathering, the candles, the singing… It's all a fantastic way to survive the darkest period up north. And Christmas stands for something precious, for me anyway.

But all this hysteric shopping I just can't stand. Why not do something sustainable for Christmas instead, I thought, and decided to contribute to a slightly better world.

This is my recycled Christmas tree – which probably belonged to someone else last year – complete with decorated with street art angels from Cape Town, South Africa.

And here are another tip for helping shape the Christmas brand into a more sustainable tradition: Give your loved ones an experience, like a spa treatment, a movie ticket, a night of baby sitting or a ticket to the hockey game.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: